Our staff on the Alutrade stand at the UK Metals Expo 2023 Image by Nadine Bloxsome, Alfed

Forging valuable industry-leading links at UK Metals Expo

The Alutrade team can frequently be found out and about, visiting our customers, collecting aluminium scrap and speaking to prospective customers about their aluminium scrap recycling requirements.

Earlier this month (September), key members of our team were out in force at The NEC in Birmingham for the company’s first ever UK Metals Expo appearance.

Our Managing Director, Malcolm George, Commercial Director, Mike George, Commercial Manager, Ed George, and Emily Harris, our Commercial Buyer and Export Manager, attended the event, hot on the heels of attending our third FIT Show earlier this year.

Exhibiting at the event was an opportunity for us to further showcase our industry-leading aluminium recycling expertise, which includes helping develop world-first x-ray technology to produce 99% aluminium. Meanwhile, as a zero-to-landfill site, our closed loop innovation is helping our customers significantly improve their carbon footprint too.

Situated near the sustainability and circular economy theatre, we tuned into numerous topical conversations during our two days at the show, which were an important reminder of the role we play in helping the industry reduce its carbon footprint.

The Alutrade stand at the 2023 UK Metals Expo

“One of the biggest takeaways was the common perception within the industry that most recycled aluminium is exported, which is true,” explains Ed George.

“Our material predominantly stays in the UK – 80% of our post-consumer processed material is recycled in the UK, with the remaining 20% being recycled within Europe. The processes and technology we have put in place enables us to keep much more material within the UK and the country’s circular economy.”

If you missed us at this year’s UK Metals Expo, we will be returning next year. For more information about the 2024 event, visit: ukmetalsexpo.com

In the meantime, if you would like to discuss your aluminium recycling requirements with us, please contact Ed George on ed.george@alutrade.co.uk