Showcasing our expertise at our second FIT Show appearance
As one of the largest recyclers of aluminium extrusion in the UK, we’re exhibiting at the FIT Show, the UK’s biggest and best trade show for the fenestration industry.
We’ll be showcasing our pre- and post-consumer aluminium window and door scrap recycling processes at this year’s event, which is taking place at the NEC in Birmingham from May 10 to 12.
Unfortunately, last year’s FIT Show was cancelled due to COVID-19, but we’re hoping this year’s exhibition will go ahead as planned, and we’ll be able to share our pioneering closed loop recycling system with the 200+ anticipated visitors.
“We’ve been processing thermally broken extrusion for the last ten years, using an approach that we’re continuously reviewing and refining and is unrivalled within our industry,” explains Ed George, our Commercial Manager.
“Our thermally broken extrusion capabilities are particularly significant for the fenestration industry because it means aluminium can be kept in the UK. Material is supplied to UK remelts which, in turn, means UK extruders can be produced and supplied. All in all, this forms a robust UK closed loop aluminium recycling programme that enables us to save 95% of the original energy used to mine and refine.”
The closed loop system, which took us six years to develop and perfect, enables us to effectively separate the thermal barrier from extrusions to produce a 95 to 97% clean aluminium product. The extrusion and thermal strip are fractured away from one another and then overlaid with a mechanical solution. It’s so effective, we can sort up to 6 tonnes per hour.
Case in point
We were approached by one of our customers, Origin Global, to improve their carbon footprint. We started by switching their daily scrap collections to fortnightly collections. This change alone reduced their journeys and emissions from transporting materials.
Thanks to our closed loop recycling process, we were then able to pass on 88% of their extrusion to remelting companies. The remaining 12%, which was packaging waste and thermal barrier, was sent for further recycling.
Samantha Wright, Environmental Officer at Origin Global, said: “Alutrade is a supplier we can rely on and trust, and we’re consistently impressed by their high quality service. By working with them, we are confident that our scrap is 100% recycled and supporting the circular economy. The team are always very helpful, friendly, and quick to respond to our queries.”
For more insight on how we helped Origin Global significantly improve their scrap recycling rates, read the full case study.
In the meantime, for more information about our leading thermally broken extrusion processes or to find out more about our work with the fenestration sector, visit us on Stand D41 at the FIT Show. Alternatively, contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org or 0121 552 0330.